Friday, May 26, 2006

Jordan Economy, part 2

Visiting customers in the industry, and going to restaurants, hotels, and cafes, I am exposed to both the industrial sector and tourisms, so I can claim that I know what I am talking about. The main problem in Jordan is than people do not want to work; a ministry of labor report two weeks ago confirms this. The number of unemployed is around 250000, and the number of foreign labor is also 250000. This is a real joke. In theory, Jordan can have 0% unemployment. Maybe in practice, it can go down to slightly less than 10% (around 15% actual)which would be really good for an Arab country.

I have really no solution for this problem; I really do not know how to make the Jordanian people want to work, or accept menial jobs instead of no jobs. Maybe having mandatory military service would help, not the previously used 2 yrs version, which I bet sucked big time, and cost the government too much, but a 90 days version. Suggesting this is a bit hypocritical on my part, because I would not even do military service for money.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
electronic health record system
electronic health record system